Saturday 3 March 2012

Saturday - Lewes to Haywards Heath - 19.5 miles

07.30 - On the train.
I'm sat on the train to Lewes having left the family tucked up in bed. I managed an extra 25mins in bed compare to my usual weekday routine so that was a bonus. I've eaten my body weight in porridge and necked about a litre of water. The weather forecast is dry, overcast and 9C. Bring it on!
(Just read in the free Southern magazine that Lewes Station won a "Loo of the Year" award - might have to check them out on my way through!)


07.55 - Lewes
Starting my walk (and the loos were very good!)

10.05 - Barcombe Reservoir.  2h10m walked.  Approx 6 Miles.
So I’m on on my first tea break of the day and it’s just started to drizzle - ho hum!  After getting off the train at Lewes I cut down to the river and followed it around to the town centre - the only problem with this was that after half an our walking I found my self only a couple of hundred yards from the station! Generally holding up well, but expected at this stage.




12.40 - just past Newick. 4h40m walked.  Approx 13 miles
Well I hadn’t even gone 200 yards from my tea spot and the drizzle decided to get more persistent.  Water proof trousers and waterproof cover for my bag were quickly deployed.  I followed the river for most of this section but didn’t get to see much as my head was down trying to ignore the rain.  Spotted a nice looking pub for the summer though!
After a couple of hours the rain stopped and the back of my right foot was beginning to rub.  A quick stop to de-robe the wet weather gear and apply a compeed before continuing in to Newick.  A quick stop at the Newick village store for more water and chocolate.
So I’m now sat in the wood cooking my boil in the bag sausage and bean.  My porridge this morning has really done the job as, with the exception of one cereal bar, I’m only just starting to feel hungry!

15.00 - between Scayns Hill and Lindfield. 5h10m walked.  Approx 17.5 mies.
Well my Sausage and Bean was surprisingly good.  It really felt good to eat some hot food! A packet of crisps, a satsuma, a snickers and a cup of tea rounded off the meal nicely.
Chaffing has been a real problem since lunch.  I have liberally smeared the affected areas with vaseline which has reduced the irritation sufficiently.  This afternoon the sun has come out which has really buoyed my spirits and helped me get through this last section.  I briefly saw the Ouse but have mostly been walking across farm land and through wooded areas.
So this is my last tea break before the final push - only a couple of miles left!

16.05 - Home. 6h00m walked. Approx 19.5 miles.
Well I’ve made it and feel ok.  Sore legs, sore shoulder, chaffing in unmentionable places but I feel ok.  Could I keep going for another 4 miles (as I will have to on my challange)?  Yes I think I could.  Could I get up tomorrow and do it again? And the day after that? And the day after that?  That we will have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment