Sunday 4 March 2012

Sunday - Rain and Mud - 12 miles

Well today has been tough. My legs felt surprisingly good this morning after a good sleep however chaffed areas were still sore. The weather forecast was for heavy rain and sure enough it was chucking it down.

Wet weather gear donned and vaseline liberally applied I headed out. I soon discovered that my biggest problem today was going to be mud. Not the sticky, oozy, squelchy kind but the wet, slippy, slidy kind. I'm certainly glad I had walking poles to support me on a few of the inclines.


Today circuit around Ardingly Reservoir was hillier than yesterday and I held up pretty good for the first 6 miles. After my tea break it got harder. My legs started hurting and my heels were beginning to ache. My knees and ankles were also beginning to give me a bit of gip after all the sliding about on the mud. So it was head down, push on and think about the beans on toast waiting for me at home.

So I made it. 31.5 miles in two days and I've faired ok, one or two areas I need to work on but I'm feeling a lot more positive about my challenge after this weekend. Let's just hope that it doesn't rain!


(On a side note - it's all good complaining about the rain but it's not until you see how low Ardingly Reservoir is (picture below) that your realise just how much we need it!)

4h15m walking. Approx 12 miles.



Lessons learned this weekend


  • How to use my wet weather gear.
  • Check my map regularly so I  know where I am at all times. Saves having to double back.
  • Hot food at lunch time really helps in afternoon.
  • My pack fits well and I like it.





2 comments: