Monday 23 April 2012

Ardingly Reservoir – South of England Showground

I undertook my 8th training walk yesterday.  A 14 mile loop from home that took me up to Ardingly Reservoir across to the South of England Showground and then back again.

Before I start telling you about my walk, I have to say that I am currently suffering from a bad case of training fatigue – I don’t mean physically, I mean mentally.  Since Christmas I have been spending one day every other weekend doing training walks.  It’s been hard leaving Sarah, Bella and Zach tucked up in bed as I once again head out to tramp the Sussex countryside.  I’m really missing spending time with them.



Anyway enough of my moaning and back to my walking.  Sunday morning was made that little less painful by being a bright sunshiny day greeting me as I quietly closed the front door.  Having left my, sorry Sarah’s, walking poles in a car park in the New Forest the week before last I was walking sans poles.  At first I didn’t notice too much of a difference but after the first two miles I was definitely noticing it in my thighs.  The times I really noticed the lack of poles was up and down steep hills (of which there were quite a few) and also in the state of my knees today.  I will most certainly be buying some poles before my next training walk.


Another boost to moral was seeing the bluebells out in the wood.  Ardingly Reservoir was looking slightly healthier after the weeks of rain we had, but still a long way off being full enough.  I also noticed that they had a huge pipe (I’m sure we have a hose pipe ban!) pumping water into the reservoir – I’m guessing its coming from the River Ouse.

From the reservoir I cut north then down a steep and rocky path that brought me out at the back of Wakehurst Place.  From there I circumnavigated the South of England Showground before joining the High Weald Landscape Trail and back to Lindfield.  From Lindfield I joined the Ouse Valley Way to the golf club and back home.

Although really not wanting to do this walk I have to say it was actually quite pleasant.  Good weather, not to much mud and some interesting terrain.

When I made it home I decided to try out one of the dehydrated food pouches I would be eating on my challenge - Chicken and Noodle Hotpot!  Verdict – edible, filling and light weight – I have high hopes for the chilli con carne!

My feet held up well – no blisters - and only minor chaffing.


Lessons learnt;

Pole are essential (especially if I don’t want to b****r my knees any more!)
Split my walking 60/40 between pre and post lunch.

Distance walked – 14 miles   Time – 4h35m

No comments:

Post a Comment