Monday 9 April 2012

New Forest - Beaulieu Loop. With Company.

For my seventh training walk I was joined by my lovely wife Sarah.  She promised not too moan if I treated her to a pub lunch.  And so the route was planned accordingly. 
After safely leaving the children in the capable hands of the grandparents we headed out to Beaulieu in the New Forest.  The first stretch of the walk took us along a very muddy path before cutting down into Beaulieu and joining the river down to Bucklers Hard.  This is a very popular walk with your casual stroller and overtaking manoeuvres were need to avoid buggies and zimmer frames - not the most extreme walking conditions I’ve encountered on my training!








At Bucklers Hard we had a quick snack before heading back to Beaulieu for lunch in the Montague Arms.
After lunch we set out east along part of the Solent Way, which also happened to be a very busy main road with not really much of a footpath to speak of.  After a very unpleasant mile on the road we cut off onto some heath land and circumnavigated the Beaulieu Estate before cutting into the forest and back to the car.



This hasn’t been the toughest training walk I’ve done by any stretch but it was good to be walking with my full pack again and it was great to be joined by Sarah.  My feet held up well, not signs of any blisters and also no chaffing! Hurrah!
Lessons Learned;
Don’t leave your walking poles in the car park!
Total Miles Walked - 12.  Time 4h 45m

No comments:

Post a Comment