Thursday 31 May 2012

Day Four: Saddlecombe Farm - Alfriston

Distance Walked: 23.75 Miles
Start Time: 6.30
Finish Time: 5.15
Total Time Walking: 10h 45m (inc 1h 45m for breaks)

Weather: This morning - perfect. This afternoon - windy, windy, windy!

General Condition: Mentally a lot better than yesterday. The chaffing is what has really got me today - even with copious amounts of Vaseline. The path under foot has been a lot smoother so has taken less of a toll on my ankles. To be honest I just ache!
Feet Condition: Wrecked - that's about all I can say!

Notes:
I felt a lot more positive this morning after a good nights sleep and seeing Sarah, Bella & Zach last night for a slightly chaotic but fun BBQ.

The start to my day was a climb up New Timber Hill before dropping down again to cross the A23. The another climb up to Jack & Jill windmills. This was followed by a few miles of flattish path. My feet were already complaining but I've begun to get use to that!

From there I started to drop down to the A27 and a water tap. I took on a couple of extra litres of water and certainly felt it. By now I had started to fall behind the pace so upped my stride.

The worts bit of the morning for me as a half mile stretch along the A27. Not exactly the walk in the country I'd been planning! So I was glad when the path started to lead me away from the road and up and up and up! Today terrane has definitely turned from undulating to hill!

I was now high up on the down and it was windy - a nice change from the heat but still... As yesterday it was this period before lunch that I really started to struggle, just putting one foot in front of the other, iPod on and singing out load. I had the 14 mile mark pencilled in for a lunch break but it was so exposed I decided to push on until I found somewhere more sheltered. 15 miles still nothing. 15.5 miles - a dust farm building full of manure? Umm no. 16 miles - Southease Church with a nice bench and out of the breeze - that will do nicely! Oh and a water tap - so all the extra water I took on 8 miles earlier for lunch - not really need!

Lunch was once again boil in the bag sausage and beans (no pigs in sight! ) and the thought of only eight miles to go until camp.

After lunch I had about half a mile of flat before starting to climb back up on to the downs. The climb wasn't too bad as I was feeling rested and fueled from lunch. At the top of the climb I had stunning view. To my left Lewes and the surrounding countryside and to my right Newhaven and the coast!

The paths continued along the top of the downs gently undulating but the wind was picking up. My the 20 mile mark it was really blowing and beginning to get to me. The last 4 miles were tough and I had to mentally will my self forward with every step.

So I've made the camp site and tent is up. First thing I did was go and have a shower followed by a brew. In a few minutes I'm going to hobble the quarter mile into town and have a big fat pub dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment