Wednesday 30 May 2012

Day Three: Gumber Bothy - Saddlecombe Farm

Distance Walked: 23.75 Miles
Start Time: 6.45
Finish Time: 5.15
Total Time Walking: 10h 30m (inc 1h 45m for breaks)

Weather: Misty to start which burnt off by 9 then hot for the morning clouding over early in the afternoon followed by more sun but with a cooling breeze.

General Condition: I've struggled mentally today but now I'm at my campsite it doesn't seem so bad. My ankles are the thing giving mr gip today. My legs are aching but holding up ok. Chaffing is still there but held at bay by lashings of Vaseline!
Feet Condition: Getting worse! Some more big blisters on my right foot as well as another on my left. Compress blisters held up ok. Every time I stopped walking today for even a few minutes my feet were very painful when I set off again - it took a good minute to get into my stride again.

Notes:
After a good night at Gumber Bothy and being woken up by a crow knocking on the door I bandage up my feet (I burst 2 of the blisters last night - sorry Becci, Cat & Mart), had breakfast and started out.

It was very misty and slightly spooky! My day started with a climb back onto the SDW followed by more rolling terrane. Under foot the path was very stony and uneven making it very tough on the feet and ankles, unfortunately this was to continue for the rest of the day! The mist made the temperature perfect for walking and dare I even say that at one point I was a little bit cold! The rolling terrane continued until I dropped into Amberly.

From Amberly I had a steep climb onto the downs again, by his time the sun had burnt off the mist and was shining fearlessly, no breeze and no shade - it was hot and only just after 9am!

The path remained quite flat for a good few miles and at some point I passed the halfway point, but I not sure quite where, before dropping down to the A24. The climb back up from the A24 was very hard. By now I was really struggling, my knees ached on the down slopes, my ankles ached on the flat and my whole body complained on the up hills! My feet just feel ruined and I've started talking to myself (take note Annalie).

Just after the 14 mile mark I found some trees and stopped (most welcomed) for lunch of beans and sausage (however no pig farm near by Dunc!). It began to cloud over and after 45 minutes I decided to hit the trail again as it was beginning to get a bit chilly!

The afternoon was again all about putting one foot in front of the other. My mood had lifted after lunch an there was some breathtaking scenery when I had the energy to lift my head and have a look around. Underfoot got a bit easier with less uneven paths. The clouds lasted for a few welcome hours and when they did part the heat of the sun was counteracted my a nice cooling breeze.

After my tea break I started to struggle again. My feet felt like they were on fire and it was getting hard to motivate myself onwards. Suddenly I spotted Devils Dyke in the distance and know I was on the home stretch for today!

My campsite for the night is very pleasant. No showers so I had to have a was it the loo sink! Camp in now set up and I'm waiting for Sarah, Bella & Zach to arrive with my BBQ and a much needed moral boost that they will bring with them.

As I mentioned earlier I have struggled mentally today. At points I wasn't really sure that I'll be able to make it through tomorrow and Friday. Now sat in my tent it doesn't seem so bad but the last two days have been tough and I've got to do it all again tomorrow. Wish me luck and smooth trials!

No comments:

Post a Comment