Monday 28 May 2012

Day One: Winchester - The Sustainability Centre

Distance Walked: 19.25 Miles
Start Time: 7.40
Finish Time: 4.15
Total Time Walking: 8h 35m (inc 2h for breaks)

Weather: Pleasant to start with followed by warm but with a nice cooling breeze

General Condition: Feeling Good both physically and mentally
Feet Condition: Good except I just stood on a stingy nettle!

Notes:
Firstly a bug thank you to Cat for dropping me in Winchester this morning!

The morning started of very pleasant temperature and some relatively easy terrane to get me going. After a slight wrong turn in Winchester (due to updating Facebook at the time!) I made it out of the town and into the countryside. My route has mainly been across farm land with a few short sections along country roads. The terrane has been undulating but with no real significant climbs and only one quite steep decent to speak of. The scenery has been quite breath taking in places.

Lunch was taken in the Shoe Inn in Exton. A very tasty homemade burger (no bun) with peppercorn sauce and chips (and salad). My last proper meal until Wednesday evening!

After lunch the track got a little more difficult. Firstly with tree roots and stumps and the dried mud churned up my the walkers and cyclists during the recent wet weather - ankle breaker stuff so I had to keep my eyes on the ground. I had my first big ascent up Old Winchester Hill which was made better by the track being in the shade. After a quick stop and a can of pop at Meonsprings I headed off for the last stretch off the day, crossing some open countryside before another big climb to the Sustainability Centre.

Camp is now set up. I'm still trying to figure out where to put everything now my pack is unpacked. Dinner tonight will be freeze dried beef and potato hotpot (just the thing for a summers evening!) followed by chocolate pudding - yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment